Provisions and / or strategies:
- Use activities that are stress reducing e.g. games, dance, colouring, gardening, animals, forest school.
- Monitor to see whether the symptom is persistent.
- Keep a log and analyse pattern or trends to identify triggers. Talk to designated school lead (special educational needs co-ordinator, pastoral or safeguarding lead) regarding your concerns if issue persists.
- Liaise with school nurse.
- Remember that pain can affect children and young people with autistic spectrum condition or who have experienced trauma in ways that are different to people who are neurotypical.
Soiling: consider the causes for soiling too, these could be due to:
- Development – exploring the sensation.
- Sensory stimulus – the pupil likes the feel.
- Not being toilet trained.
Last updated 3 September 2020