In addition to the quality first teaching expectations outlined in Section 1, additional provision and interventions maybe required. Examples of presenting needs and suggested strategies are given below as a starting point for your planning and classroom practice. For more specialist advice, please see the social, emotional mental health section of the SEND Toolkit.
A pdf of the ‘ordinarily available inclusive practice’ guide can be downloaded from the main OAIP page. For more specialist advice, please see the communication and interaction section of the SEND Toolkit.
- Consider what the behaviour may be reflecting. Are there any unmet communication or social, emotional needs?
- Look at the history. When did the behaviour start to change? What are the triggers?
- Liaise and collaborate with home to understand the wider picture.
- Keep notes of concerns and liaise with designated professionals.
- Be aware of any prescribed medication and feedback changes or concerns to your special educational needs co-ordinator.