This is a brand new service — your feedback helps us improve it.

What is Tools for Schools? How can the Inclusion Framework and OAIP support my setting?

Find out more on our info page

Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment

If a child or young person has been receiving SEN support for a while and is not making expected progress, the educational setting, parent carer or young person themselves, if they are over 16, may consider requesting an assessment to see whether an Education, Health and Care Plan is needed. 

It is strongly advised that the Ordinarily Available Inclusive Practice guide is reviewed, alongside the Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCNA) guidance BEFORE a request is made.

Parent carers and young people can apply in two ways:

  1. Using the online parent carer/ young person form
  2. Writing or emailing the SEN Assessment Team – you can find their contact details on the SENAT team page.

There is more information about this process and key information about SENAT on the Local Offer.

Settings can apply by emailing the required forms to the SEN Assessment Team. The required EHCNA request form and EHCNA medical questionnaire can be downloaded from this page. Please email these completed forms, along with other relevant evidence described on the final page of the request form, to [email protected]

The EHCNA guidance document contains further information about the next steps once your request is received.

The Provision Map Guidance includes examples of costed provision maps.

Further information on SEND guidance can be found on the West Sussex County Council website.

Please note the Individual Support Plan (ISP) template for pilot schools can also be found on Tools for Schools.

Last updated 1 November 2022

Did you find this page useful?