Actions for pre-school setting
- Pre-school setting to ensure details of agencies/ professionals involved with individual children are up to date.
- Plan for any specialist equipment to be transferred to the school in readiness for the child’s first day.
Actions for school
In addition to the school’s usual transition processes:
- Ensure all children who require additional planning and support are given an opportunity to visit their new school, accompanied by a familiar adult, and to join in a variety of sessions, including playtimes and lunchtimes.
- Arrange additional visits for children who need more personalised arrangements.
- School to provide ‘All about my new school’ information for each child, with lots of pictures or make short video clips of the classroom and school environment. Parents/carers should then discuss this regularly with the child.
- Give children opportunities to meet key staff, such as their teacher, teaching assistants andany other support staff who will work with them.
- School to make appropriate referrals to specific agencies if required.
- School to undertake any identified staff training.
- Ensure staffing, resources and equipment will be in place for September.
- If required, undertake an Accessibility Audit and finalise individual provision and/or health plans.
Last updated 1 March 2021