In addition to the school’s usual internal transition processes:
- Meet with parents/carers during year R to plan transition and then afterwards to review how their child is settling in.
- School to provide ‘All about my new classroom’ information with lots of pictures and/or videos and discuss this regularly with the child.
- Arrange for frequent visits to the new classroom and opportunities to meet with year 1 staff.
- Arrange for all relevant information to be transferred between teachers. Check that this has been shared/ disseminated with key staff.
- Evaluate provision provided in Reception class and start planning how successful strategies of support can be translated into the Year 1 classroom.
- Ensure that staff understand the needs of their pupils. For example, through one- page profiles.
- Identify any further staff training needs prior to the child entering year 1.
Utilise the ASCT and LBAT guidance ‘Planning for Positive Transitions – A Best Practice Guide for Schools and Parents’ to provide need specific strategies .
Last updated 28 January 2021