This is a brand new service — your feedback helps us improve it.

We need your views!

Tell us what you think about our website and resources

External VI support

Educational settings should not attempt to assess visual impairments themselves. If there are concerns regarding a child’s vision then the family need to talk to their GP/optician/ophthalmologist.

For children with a diagnosed sensory impairment, educational settings, parents carers and hospital-based health professionals can make a referral from the Sensory Support Team. This referral must include medical information from a hospital-based health professional, before the referral can be processed.

A visit from an Advisory Teacher from the Sensory Support Team will offer personalised advice on appropriate strategies, adaptations and interventions if appropriate. A visit may include:

  • Classroom observation, management advice and training for key staff
  • Environmental assessments
  • Parental support on issues related to visual impairment
  • Informal functional vision assessment of child.

A qualified Advisory Teacher of Visual Impairment can offer advice and support to families and educational settings regarding a child’s visual impairment and strategies to support access to the curriculum and the level of support will largely depend upon levels of distance and near vision acuity.

The school or setting may also benefit from advice and support from a Rehabilitation and Mobility Officer with regard to assessing and improving learning environments for visually impaired student. It may also include orientation around environments, development of mobility, self-help and independence skills

Last updated 10 September 2020

Did you find this page useful?