- Look for patterns and triggers to identify what may be causing behaviours e.g. use of language.
- Be aware that these behaviours may indicate an unmet need for safety.
- Use positive scripts – positive language to re-direct and reinforce expectations e.g. use of others as role models.
- Consider calming scripts to de-escalate, including for example, use of sand timers for ‘thinking time’.
- Provide limited choices to give the young person a sense of control whilst following adult led activities.
- Use meaningful positive feedback to ‘catch them being good’ and reward with whatever the child is personally motivated by, e.g. LEGO, superhero play, jigsaws, technology.
- Consider creating a visual timetable and using visual cues such as sand timers to support the end of activities and sharing.
Last updated 30 November 2020