Provision and / or strategies:
- Talk to parents to identify barriers of non-attendance.
- Think about ‘push and pull’ factors.
- Consider accessing the West Sussex Emotional Based School Avoidance (EBSA) materials, as these can be useful diagnostic tools for early intervention.
- Collaborate and plan with parents, to ensure consistency between the home and school / setting.
- Consider the impact of exclusions on individual attendance in the long run – will the child or young person learn that this behaviour enables them to go home to their safe space in their bedroom?
Last updated 3 September 2020