Provision and or strategies
- Use pupil interest as a motivator and to extend engagement.
- Implement regular, short breaks.
- Plan for differentiation.
- Use chunking and break tasks down into smaller, manageable steps.
- Consider the use of visual timetables.
- Consider backward chaining – Break the overall task down into smaller steps. The adult helps the child with all but that last step with the child being taught to do the last step themselves. Once the last step is learnt, the child and adult work backwards learning other steps of the sequence until the child can do the entire task.
- Use CYP’s name when giving instructions.
- Ask the child to repeat back what activity they are going to do.
- Consider use of timers, so they know they only have to focus for a comfortable amount of time.
- Plan individualised timetables.
Last updated 3 September 2020