Provisions and /or strategies:
- Consider how many information carrying words a CYP can manage when giving instructions – adapt use of language and method, e.g. simple choices, reduce complexity and sentence length.
- Provide visual prompts if necessary, including key vocabulary, visual timetables, now and next, gestures and labelling equipment with pictures.
- Ensure the adult is physically at CYP’s level.
- Give extra / allow take up time to process what has been said.
- Think about the environment and how to limit any distractions.
- Check you have engaged the CYP’s attention before talking to them use their name.
- Check that hearing has been tested.
- Pre-teach topic vocabulary and provide opportunities to re-visit understanding and use of words.
- Consider use of ‘First, then, now, next’ visual framework.
- Ensure access to an oral language modifier for assessments.
Last updated 3 September 2020