Some key points for ensuring best practice in supporting Traveller children are:
- Staff need a good understanding of Traveller culture.
- Communication must be clear and consistent.
- Have a designated member of staff as the contact for Traveller families.
- Get to know your Traveller families.
- Know how to respond to racist incidents
- Have high expectations for all pupils
- Have resources for use in school that reflect Traveller culture.
Staff Training/Awareness of Traveller Culture
Contact the Traveller Education Support Team – [email protected] . The team can provide training for all staff, to support their knowledge and understanding of Travelling communities.
Schools can also use our “How Traveller-friendly is your school?” document to reflect on your own practice.
Last updated 8 December 2020