First Language Assessment
EMTAS First Language Assessment provides general guidance on a pupil’s abilities in their first language. It can provide a valuable evidence in the assessment of additional needs, e.g. during EHCP process.
The tool is intended to be used where schools feel that a bilingual pupil is not making the progress that might be expected and it is felt that there are factors other than developing bilingualism impeding the progress.
The First Language Assessment involves:
- Discussion with school regarding a pupil’s progress and needs
- Interview with a parent
- Pupil assessment
- Written report with first language use analysis and support strategies to inform provision and next steps
Before you book the assessment:
- Have you acquired a holistic pupil profile with relevant background information, e.g. time spent learning English?
- Have you considered contacting EMTAS to arrange an informal pupil observation to assess English language development?
- Have the appropriate EAL strategies been actioned consistently for a sufficient length of time?
The EMTAS team currently offers first language assessments in Polish, Bangla, Portuguese, Lithuanian and Russian. If you require an assessment in another language, we would advise booking an interpreter.
For further details please contact the your local ethnic minority advisory teacher.
Last updated 15 October 2020