After school/college/day provision/work places are allocated:
- Be proactive and arrange contact between SENCOs. Participate in face to face meetings between settings to discuss pupils’ needs and provision.
- Organise review meetings that both current and receiving settings, and parent/carers can attend. Develop transition plans for pupils.
- Involve pupils and parents in this process.
- Carry out an audit of environmental adjustments and medical needs training. Check the medical training required and who will need it prior to the child or young person starting at their new placement.
- Prepare additional visits for pupils who need more personalised arrangements alongside the settings generic arrangements.
- Arrange meetings with other agencies/professionals where appropriate. Liaise with health and social care colleagues to ensure that the information is up to date.
- Ensure staffing, resources and equipment will be in place for transition (normally September).
- Check who owns any equipment that the child or young person uses and if it will go with them.
- Engage with discussions and planning to prepare for transition ensuring that receiving and current settings share the full range of the young person’s needs.
- Ensure that a personalised plan for pre and post transition – develop this with the the child and their parent.
- Support the production of a ‘passport’ for the young person to ensure pupil voice. Promote the use of multi-media techniques to ensure the ‘passport’ is fully accessible and responsive to the young person’s needs. The passport should include seating arrangements etc. Support any needs identified by the ‘passport’ and ensure that the new setting is preparing for provision to meet those needs.
- Ask the child who is in their support circle and who is important. Ensure this is recorded.
- Ensure the receiving setting is aware of young persons needs especially those needs that are less obvious.
- Discuss any training needs or requests and deliver as appropriate.
- For older children, encourage and support parents/carers to find out about clinical services and the age this will change to adult services e.g. CAMHS. Find out what the plan is in terms of handover. Consider the role of the parents in this handover.
Last updated 9 February 2021