- Ensure all relevant information has been transferred from the previous setting. Check that this has been shared/disseminated with key staff. Promote dissemination of information across new setting as appropriate to the young person’s needs and wishes.
- Ensure that staff understand the needs of their pupils. For example, through one-page profiles or pupil passports.
- Meet with new parents/carers in the first term to discuss how pupils are settling in. It is also good practice to contact the family after a week, perhaps by a telephone call, to answer any questions they may have.
- Plan a ‘6 weeks in’ meeting with key staff from the two settings/ schools, parents and the CYP to celebrate the successes of the transition and show that they are held in mind by the previous setting.
- Make sure relevant services/teams are made aware if there are concerns or issues at early stage so support can be given to overcome any issues.
- Feeder schools / setting to offer on-going advice and support to receiving setting as appropriate.
- Continue to promote discussion of staff training needs and deliver or explore providers as appropriate.
Last updated 9 February 2021